Some of the reported differences between the 2004 VW Golf R32 (MkIV) and the 2008 R32 (MkV):
· The US-spec MkV has same power as US-spec MkIV (250hp)
· MkV is 300lbs heavier.
· MkV is 12 seconds slower around the Nurburgring than the EU-spec MkIV (which is less powerful than US-spec MkIV).
· MkV has DSG only.
· MkV has Gen 2 Haldex to the MkIV's Gen1. Reportedly pretty comparable to Gen 1 + HPP.
· MkV is like 2-3 inches taller, and looks it.
· MkIV has deep dark black grills up front.
· MkV has sun catching black horizontal slats in the lower grills and a shiny center grill/bumper, similar to the MkV Jetta. (brushed al instead of chrome, but similar first impression).
· MkIV has totally R32 specific interior with custom seats, and R logos throughout (wheel, pedal covers, door sills, front and rear seats).
· MkV pretty much has GTI interior.
· MkV has new pedestrian friendly higher hood, with matching higher dash, higher window lines et cetera.
· MkV has $1800 NAV option.
· MkV base price is $1000 more than MkIV was, and dealers are already busy price gouging (they learned from their mistake with the MkIV).
· MkIV has widely spaced exhaust tips.
· MkV has center exhaust tips, positioned about where your ankles are when you open the hatch.
· MKV has HID's.
· MKV has steering wheel controls.
· MKV has a donut spare.
· MKV has battery in trunk.